Gum Disease and Diabetes: Don’t Take Chances
Dr. Zuerlein and our hygiene team want to make sure you know the connection between gum disease and diabetes. Gum disease is often called a complication of diabetes, so you need to be vigilant about both!
Here are 5 risks you should know about gum disease and diabetes:
- If you are a diabetic, you are more likely to develop infections, including gum disease.
- Gum disease can make it more difficult for anyone to control blood sugar… especially if you are diabetic.
- Uncontrolled blood sugar can increase your risk of complications.
- Diabetes is a major risk factor for systemic illnesses including Alzheimer’s and cardiovascular diseases. Both have been linked to advance gum disease.
- Nearly 26 million North Americans, including kids, are affected by diabetes. An estimated 79 million adults aged 20 years or older have “pre-diabetes” where blood sugar is higher than normal.
If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, we can help you keep gum disease under control through routine dental care and oral hygiene instruction.